Passport for minors
If you’re a minor, the requirements vary depending on whether you are 17, or younger. Both age groups require you to go to a Passport Acceptance Facility first.
For Minors under Age 16
- Each minor shall appear in person.
- All applications for children 16 and under require either parents’ or legal guardian’s consent.
- For Minors under Age 16, you must establish proof of citizenship and proof of relationship with parents. Previous U.S. passports are not acceptable as proof of relationship to the applying parent(s)/guardian(s).
- Present Parental Application Permission Documentation.
- Both parents must appear together and sign or:
- One parent appears, signs, and submits second parent’s notarized statement of consent authorizing passport issuance for the child (a notarized Form DS-3053, Statement of Consent: Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under Age 16, or a notarized written statement with the same information on a sheet of paper from the non-appearing parent)
- One parent appears, signs, and submits primary evidence of sole authority to apply
- Complete Visa Network letter of authorization.
- Do not sign Form DS-11 till the Passport Acceptance Agent instructs you to do so.
For Minors Ages 16 & 17
- Each minor child shall appear in person.
- At least one parent (with Identification) should go with the minor. Minor should bring identification also if possible.
- Do not sign Form DS-11 till the Passport Acceptance Agent instructs you to do so. If your child is unable to sign his or her own name, a parent may sign for the child by writing the child’s name on the signature line and signing the parent’s name above the child’s name.
Jane Doe for
Child M. Doe
Signature of Bearer
Go to the First Time passport requirements page. Don’t worry if this is not you or the minor’s first passport. The requirements seen there are the same. Follow all instructions.
The Letter of Authorization must be handwritten by the applicant only (if possible) and both parents must sign the LOA unless only 1 parent is present. The pen used must be in black or blue ink and not interchanged. All fields must be completed including Courier Company Name- be sure to write “Visa Network.”
Visa Network Fees
|6-8 business days||150|
|3-5 business days||180|
For 24 hour or Same-Day services, call Visa Network (415) 693-0330
Above fee does not include shipping, bank or extra handling charges that might incur during the process. Please include a credit card on the Visa Network order form.
Attn: Passport Desk
870 Market St. STE 888
San Francisco, CA